Wednesday, April 3, 2013

More Questions Than Answers

Imagination makes us ask...


We are very close to the end of our reading of The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, and if you are like me, you have more questions than ever.  We know this is fiction, we know it's just a story, but we still ask.  It's the mark of a very good book, that regardless of our like or dislike of the book, we still want to know more about the characters, the setting, and the ideas behind the book.  One New York Times reviewer asks "Can children love, who were never loved?".  How much of this story, although glorious and beautiful on some levels is really quite disturbing.  Is it magic or is it indentured servitude? 
I look forward to discussing this, as well as the overall mystery of "The Game", the colors, the clock and each of the characters with you next week. If you read it in book form, did the design of the actual book influence your reading?   We are sold out for our meeting, but if you would like to be among the first to know about our upcoming meetings and special events...the next one on May 7th in a location to be announced, please Join The Club.  You will receive emails with  information about all our upcoming events.
Thanks for joining me here and I look forward to seeing you at our next meeting and at our Face to Face and Special events in the future.
Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

  1. Just finished the novel. I saw online that it is considered a "steampunk" novel. I had never read that genre before, so now I understand what it is!
    It really was disturbing (the child abuse especially was difficult), but overall a fun book. I think I might have appreciated it even more when I was 19 or 20-- I was really into fantastical worlds at that age. Have a good meeting and I'm sorry I'll miss it.

    ReplyDelete